Borrowing at the Social Science Library
Who may borrow?
- Current members of Oxford University with a valid (blue stripe) University card may borrow items from the Social Science Library.
- Bodleian Reader card holders have reference-only access; they may not borrow items.
- If you are not a member of the University, find out more about applying to join the Bodleian Libraries.
What can be borrowed?
- Most of the books in the SSL can be borrowed, except copies with the status 'Use in Library Only' on SOLO.
- The SSL provides at least one ‘Use in Library Only' copy, High Demand Collection Copy or e-book of all books on taught course reading lists, so that all students can access them when they are in heavy demand. We often provide multiple other copies of the book for borrowing.
- A book may be ‘Use in Library Only’ if it is rare, damaged, or an older book received under legal deposit.
- Journals and statistical series may not be borrowed.
- Equipment and stationery are also available to borrow for use within the library only.
Book conversion service
If you would like to borrow a ‘Use in Library Only’ book, we may be able to convert it to loanable and reserve it for you. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the details of the book you need. This service applies to books on the SSL open shelves only, it may take up to a week to process your request, and books on current reading lists are excluded.