Online and remote access
You can access our materials when you are not in one of our libraries.
Access to copies
- Scan and Deliver: get PDF scans of book chapters and journal articles by email
- Print and Deliver: get printed versions of electronic legal deposit material
- Special collections mediated copying: get PDF scans of special collections material by email
Access to digital resources
The Bodleian Libraries subscribes to a very wide range of digital resources, and we are subject to conditions on the use of the licensed resources we provide.
E-resources may be used for study and research but not for commercial purposes.
For University members
University of Oxford students and staff have access to a wider range of digital resources.
If you are connected to a University of Oxford network, you will be able to access most e-resources without needing to provide a username or password. You can be allocated an Oxford IP address from anywhere in the world through the University's Virtual Private Network (VPN).
If you are not on a University network, you can log in to SOLO using your Oxford Single Sign-On (SSO) to get access to all of the Bodleian Libraries’ databases, electronic reference works, e-books and e-journals.
Use the Online Resources filter in SOLO to access search over 1.4 million e-books and 118,000 journal articles and – where possible – subscription copies of electronic legal deposit material.
Where available links are provided to:
- Download PDFs
- Download a subscription copy (electronic legal deposit material)
- Read articles or books on a third party publisher’s
- View contents on a third party publisher’s site
We also have a guide to accessing and using e-books.
HathiTrust: public domain books
You can access 4 million items directly from the HathiTrust website. Download in full whole volumes of public domain books.
Readers with print disabilities will be able to request full book downloads on copyrighted items via the Accessible Resources Unit (ARACU).
- Follow the yellow login button
- Enter Oxford into the search box
- Select University of Oxford to be redirected to the SSO login screen.
You can access online and – where possible – electronic legal print material on BrowZine.
Search for Bodleian Libraries as your institution and you will be redirected to your SSO login screen.
You can then search directly for titles.
BrowZine also offers features to save and favourite texts
All e-journals (including articles from before 2005) can also be found on SOLO.
We have access to over 1,000 electronic databases, a large number can be accessed away from the libraries. All of Oxford’s databases are accessible via SOLO (filter by Databases under Resource Type) and also via Databases A-Z.
Oxford Reading Lists Online (ORLO) provides 24/7 access to reading lists from a range of devices, including direct links to online full-text where available. For more information, visit our ORLO guide.
Other digital resources
You can login with your SSO to access the following services:
The following resources are available to all researchers:
Books and journals
- Use our library catalogue SOLO to search for material. Our “Open Access” filter will return results that are available to anyone.
- Search for scanned versions of out-of-copyright books on Google Books.
Articles, dissertations and theses
- Over 50,000 articles, disserations and theses by University of Oxford academics and research students are available for free at the Oxford University Research Archive (ORA).
Manuscripts and archives
- Digital Bodleian: Explore over a million images of rare books and manuscripts from the Bodleian Libraries and Oxford colleges.
A small number of electronic resources have different, specific licence conditions. If in any doubt, please speak to a member of staff in one of the Bodleian Libraries or contact us.
If you have any queries about access to e-resources, please contact email@example.com.
- Legal databases
Access to legal databases provided by the Law Library
- IT Services guide to working remotely
Support and guide for University members
Resources available for Oxford Alumni
- Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust staff
Remote access and resources for Trust staff
- Using SOLO
An introdution to using SOLO
- Reading lists
Access up-to-date reading lists at any time