Updates on services, resources, and support available to help you carry on with your work and research.
We'll keep this page – and our Twitter feed – up to date changes ahead of Michaelmas term 2021. For further help or questions, please email email@example.com or use our Live Chat service.
Page last updated: 21 September 2021
Latest service changes
Library reading rooms
We have stopped the following services:
- Space Finder / booking a time slot to use a library
- Browse and Borrow
- Click and Collect
Libraries are open to all readers and there is no need book unless specified by the individual library. Just come along with your University or Bodleian Reader card.
Books can now be borrowed from lending libraries by using the self scan machines or checking out at the information desk.
Access to the Bodleian Health Care Libraries (Cairns Library, Girdlestone Memorial Library, Horton Hospital Library) will remain limited due to COVID safety measures.
Staying safe in our reading rooms
We will still:
- Strongly encourage readers to wear face coverings in our library spaces
- Request readers scan the NHS Test and Trace QR codes displayed in our spaces
- Encourage all library users to limit close contact and respect others
- Maintain an increased level of cleaning across our libraries
If you are travelling from outside of the UK, please make sure you follow the current government rules for entering England before you access our libraries.
Remote and low contact services
The following remote and low contact servies are available:
More about our remote access services
Our service for requesting inter-library loans has now restarted.
Standard loan periods are now in operation across all our libraries. Please check individual libraries for details.
If you are in Oxford, items should be returned to the library from which they were borrowed.
If you are not in Oxford, you can send items to us using the Royal Mail Tracked service or contact us if you are based internationally.
How to return loans.
Fines for overdue books are currently suspended, we will inform readers when they are reinstated.
If you are self-isolating but need to borrow or return items you can:
- Nominate someone to collect available books on your behalf by emailing full details to the relevant library
- Ask someone else to return loans on your behalf
Bodleian Reader card holders
The Admissions Office has reopened to the public by appointment only. Find out how to book and guidance for arriving.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
We have a broad array of online services that are still available to Bodleian Reader card holders:
- OffsiteScan – free scans from our offsite facility which holds over 10 million items. Requires a valid reader card.
- Open Access eresources – use the Open Access filter in SOLO to find journals, articles and books that are available to all to read
- Databases – many of our databases are also open to all. Please look for the circle symbol in our Databases A-Z