Independent researchers applying for or renewing a Bodleian Reader card.
Make a Bodleian Reader card application
- Download and complete the application form, including the statement of research need
- Book an appointment to come to the Admissions Office
- On the day of your appointment please bring your completed application form and ID documents with you
Bring the following proofs to your appointment
One proof of identity in their original format:
- photo driving licence*
- national identity card*
- bank card
- credit card
- photo bus pass
- Police/Customs/Home Office/Warrant Card
One proof of address in hard or electronic copy in English, dated within six months of the current application being made:
- utility bill (electricity, gas, internet, telephone, water)
- bank statement
- credit card statement
- building society statement
- payslip (where both the employer’s and the employee’s addresses are stated)
- Council Tax bill
- TV licence
*These documents can be used both proof of identity and proof of permanent home address, where the address has been officially printed.
You will need to pay our standard admission charge.
If you are retired and over 65 years of age at the time you are applying, you may qualify for a free-of-charge Bodleian Reader card, which will be issued for six months at a time.
Library access granted
All Bodleian Reader card holders get reference-only access to printed material in the Bodleian Libraries and no borrowing privileges or remote access to subscription electronic resources.
You have access to most of the Bodleian Libraries throughout the year and vacation-only access to the remaining libraries.
Term and vacation dates