Independent researchers applying for or renewing a Bodleian Reader card. Please note that the application process is always the same, whether you are applying for the first time or renewing your Bodleian Reader card.
Make a Bodleian Reader card application
- Download and complete the application form, including the statement of research need. If you would like our office to print out your completed application form and hold it under your name, please email it to email@example.com at least one week before your visit.
- On the day you come to the Admissions Office, please bring your completed application form and ID documents with you.
- Find out more about our opening hours, and read our guidance on arriving at the office and pre-ordering material.
Bring the following proofs with you when you come to Admissions
One proof of identity in their original format:
- photo driving licence*
- national identity card*
- bank card
- credit card
- photo bus pass
- Police/Customs/Home Office/Warrant Card
One proof of address in hard or electronic copy in English, dated within six months of the current application being made:
- utility bill (electricity, gas, internet, telephone, water)
- bank statement
- credit card statement
- building society statement
- payslip (where both the employer’s and the employee’s addresses are stated)
- Council Tax bill
- TV licence
*These documents can be used both proof of identity and proof of permanent home address, where the address has been officially printed.
You will need to pay our standard admission charge.
If you are retired and over 65 years of age at the time you are applying, you may qualify for a free-of-charge Bodleian Reader card, which will be issued for six months at a time.
Library access granted
All Bodleian Reader card holders get reference-only access to printed material in the Bodleian Libraries and no borrowing privileges or remote access to subscription electronic resources.
You have access to most of the Bodleian Libraries throughout the year and vacation-only access to the remaining libraries.
Term and vacation dates