These instructions are for those who hold an undergraduate or graduate degree from the University of Oxford. Please note that the application process is always the same, whether you are applying for the first time or renewing your Bodleian Reader card.
If you hold a certificate or diploma from the University of Oxford, or were a visiting student, you will need to apply via one of our other categories.
Make a Bodleian Reader card application
- Download and complete the application form, including the statement of research need.
- If you wish, you may pre-order material before applying for a Bodleian Reader card.
- You must come to the Admissions Office to make your application. Please bring your completed application form and ID documents with you. If you would like our office to print out your completed application form and hold it under your name, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 2 working days (Monday – Friday) before your visit.
- Find out more about our opening hours, and read our guidance on arriving at the office.
Bring the following proofs with you when you come to Admissions (please do not email us photos or scans)
One proof of identity in their original format:
- photo driving licence*
- national identity card*
- bank card
- credit card
- photo bus pass
- Police/Customs/Home Office/Warrant Card
One proof of address in hard or electronic copy in English, dated within six months of the current application being made:
- utility bill (electricity, gas, internet, telephone, water)
- bank statement
- credit card statement
- building society statement
- payslip (where both the employer’s and the employee’s addresses are stated)
- Council Tax bill
- TV licence
*These documents can be used both proof of identity and proof of permanent home address, where the address has been officially printed.
You are eligible to apply for a free Bodleian Reader card.
Library access granted
All Bodleian Reader card holders get reference-only access to printed material in the Bodleian Libraries and no borrowing privileges or remote access to subscription electronic resources.
You have access to most of Bodleian Libraries throughout the year and vacation-only access to the remaining libraries.
Term and vacation dates