What we're doing
- Low energy LED lights with motion sensors are being installed throughout the library.
- We leave the lights off in the Discussion Rooms, the Information Skills Training Room & the Q-Step Centre Teaching Lab when these rooms are not in use.
Photocopying & Printing
- We switch off two of our five copiers during low-use periods (all day in vacation, evenings and weekends in term-time).
- We have programmed the copiers to go into low-energy ‘sleep’ mode when not in use.
- We use recycled paper in all our photocopiers & printers.
- Library staff printers are set up to print double-sided by default.
- Reader printing via the Bodleian Libraries PCAS system is double-sided by default.
- We provide an e-Readings service – staff scan a reading once and it is then available via WebLearn to all students in the class.
- We switch off all PCs overnight.
- We only switch on a few reader PCs in the morning - other PCs are switched on by readers as needed.
- The PC monitors are set to enter standby mode after a few minutes of inactivity.
- We have set library staff PCs to enter ‘sleep’ mode after a short period of inactivity.
- We have set PC monitor brightness as low as possible.
Waste & recycling
- We sell reusable KeepCups (glass and plastic). As well as being acceptable for hot drinks inside the SSL, these prevent disposable cup waste. The Manor Road Building café offers a discount on hot drinks when using your own cup.
- We sell SSL cotton bags as an alternative to plastic bags.
- We offer a choice of plastic, cardboard or a combination of cover sheets for use with our binding machine.
- Many of the stationery items we sell are made from recycled materials.
- We provide clearly labelled ‘waste points’ so readers can take their recycling and general waste to a single location. The standard University labels and posters are available on the Environmental Sustainability Team’s website.
- Unwanted, non-legal deposit, books are sent to Better World Books for reuse or recycling. Data provided by Better World Books show that 245 SSL books were reused or recycled in 2018, saving 3 trees.
Back to Greening the SSL.
- We encourage readers and staff to save energy and paper via posters and campaigns. Check out some of our previous campaigns.