Using library scanners
Use the multi-function PCAS devices in the libraries to scan items and send them to an email address or to a USB device. Make sure you are aware of the library guidelines on what you can copy and the copyright restrictions on making digital copies.
The University email file size limit is 100MB. Make sure you do not scan too many pages before submitting your scan job or you may lose your work. Be aware that if you scan larger items, graphics or in colour, this will create a larger file.
If your book is not a standard A4 or A5 size, read the instructions for non-standard sizes. If you wish to name your scan file or change the file format from PDF, read the instructions for changing file properties. More settings are available in Send Settings.
Scan via the glass pane
- Lift the lid of the scanner and place the item you wish to scan face-down on the glass in the top left-hand corner. If you are scanning to USB, insert your USB stick into the slot to the left of the display screen.
- Select either Scanner or Print/Scan (memory storage device).
Select File Name to assign a name for your scan and, if selected, Preview will allow you to check the scan before sending.
Press the large green button to the right of the display to begin scanning. Repeat until your scan is complete. After 60 seconds of inactivity jobs will be sent automatically.
If you are using Scanner, your scans will automatically be emailed to your University email address. If you are a Bodleian Reader card holder, they will be sent to the email address associated with your card. To send scans to an additional email, select + Add, then Enter Recipient and enter the additional email address and press Add.
Begin scanning your next job or log out of the device. If you have used a USB stick, remember to remove it.
Do not scan too many pages before you send, as your work will be lost if the job exceeds the network capacity. We recommend you scan no more than 50 pages before submitting your job (this is based on scanning A4 or B4 size in Black & White). Be aware that if you scan larger items, graphics, or in colour, this will create a larger file, so you should then scan less than 50 pages before sending. Alternatively, you can scan to USB and then you won’t have to worry about the file size.
Scan via the document feeder
- Place the original document(s) face-up on the feeder on top of the scanner. If the document is double-sided, select Two-Sided Scanning, press Two-Sided and then OK.
- If you wish to change the file name or format, select File… and select as appropriate.
- Begin scanning by pressing the large green button to the right of the display screen. The scanned document will automatically save to your USB.
- Wait until the file is saved and a Completed message displays.
- Begin scanning your next job or log out of the device. Remember to remove your USB stick.
Use the Send Settings tab to:
- change the output colour of your scan
- lighten or darken your finished scan
- alter the resolution of your scan
- set the scan content type (e.g. photo, map).
Download the full guides: