Using library printers
Printing from a library PC or from your laptop or mobile to the printers in our libraries.
- Print from your laptop or mobile
- Print from a library PC
- Print from a library iMac
- Print from USB
- Print electronic legal deposit material
All printing in the Bodleian Libraries must be paid for through PCAS.
Print from your laptop or mobile
You can collect your printing by logging into your PCAS account on any print-capable device in the Bodleian Libraries.
You will not be charged for your print job until you collect it. Print jobs are deleted from the queue after 72 hours.
Print a document
Remote Print supports the following document types: Microsoft Office, OpenOffice, PDF, JPG, GIF, PNG, TIF, BMP and TXT.
- Click Browse and upload your document, then click Next.
- Your print job will appear. After a few seconds, the status will change from Processing to Awaiting release.
- You will then need to confirm it. The default settings are black-and-white and double-sided. If you would like to print in colour or single-sided, or print multiple copies or a particular page range, tick the Advanced box. More options will appear, and you can alter the print settings. Once you are happy with the settings, click PCAS – Submit job to Printer.
- You will see a confirmation message once the job has been sent to the print queue.
- You can now collect your print job from any printing device in the Bodleian Libraries.
Print a webpage
- Select the Web Print tab at the top of the page.
- Copy and paste the URL of the webpage you would like to print into the box and click Next.
- Follow steps 3 to 5 above (Print a document)
Install a print driver
To install a print driver on your device, select the Driver Print tab at the top of the page and follow the instructions.
Print from a library PC
- While on a library PC, select a document or page to print. The print driver options will look slightly different depending on the browser or application you are using.
- The default settings are black-and-white, double-sided and one page per side of a sheet. If you wish to change these settings, select Printer Properties, Properties or Preferences on the print dialogue and follow the instructions below.
- A confirmation prompt will appear, showing your current PCAS balance. Select Print to proceed.
- You can now collect your print job from any library PCAS device.
To print from a Quick Search PC, you must use Remote Print.
Change library PC settings
- To print single-sided, click on the dropdown under Two-Sided Printing and select One-Sided Print.
- To print in colour, select the Image Options tab and uncheck the Xerox Black and White box. All pages sent to print will be printed in colour.
- To print more than one document page per side of paper, select the Document Options tab and select the number of pages to print per sheet.
Note: changes made to print settings (e.g. colour or single-sided) do not clear after each print job. Before you send a print job to the printer, check you are using the correct settings.
Print from a library iMac
- Select Print within the current application. Alternatively, print from Finder by selecting Print in the File menu.
- You will see the printer Xerox PCAS. The default option is black-and-white (Mono). Send your job to the Xerox PCAS Colour queue to print in colour. Use the Copies & Pages menu to change the number of copies, or which pages you would like to print. Use the Xerox Features menu to change to single-sided printing or change other options (staples, hole-punching, etc).
- Press ‘Print’ to send your job to this print queue.
- The PCAS window will appear, prompting you to enter your username and password. (There can be a delay of up to a minute before the window appears.)
- You will then be able to collect your print job from any library PCAS device.
Print from USB
You can send documents to print from a USB stick at a library PC or via Remote Print, following the usual instructions. You can also print PDF, TIFF or JPG files directly from your USB at a Bodleian Libraries printer.
- Log in to the library printer using your PCAS details.
- Select Print from USB.
- When prompted, insert your USB into the slot to the left of the display.
- On the next screen, select Print from USB.
- The device will search the folders on the USB and display a list of PDF, TIFF and JPG files. Using the touchscreen, select the file you wish to print. You may need to open a folder first.
- From the next screen, choose your print options: number of copies and single- or double-sided printing. You can choose colour or black-and-white by selecting the option in the Advanced Settings tab and pressing OK.
- Press the large green button to the right of the display screen to print your document.
- If you have another document to print, select Browse from the Print from USB home screen.
- After you have collected your print job(s) from beneath the display screen, remember to log out of the device and remove your USB.
Print electronic legal deposit material
Electronic legal deposit (eLD) items can only be viewed on a Bodleian Libraries computer. This will be indicated on SOLO. To access these items, you will need to agree to the Bodleian Libraries access policy.
You can print eLD material yourself or you can order copies through Print and Deliver.
Print an eLD article
- To print an article, select the printer icon in the top left-hand corner of the article display.
- A print dialog will appear and you can select preferences such as double-sided (default) or single-sided printing.
- A banner will appear to indicate that the item is being prepared for printing. Select OK.
- The PCAS Print job billing pop-up will appear. Enter your Bodleian Libraries username and password and select Print.
- The article can then be printed from any PCAS-enabled device in the libraries.
Printing sections from eLD monographs
Due to the way monographs are rendered, the pages on the screen may not correlate with the actual page numbers of the book. In some cases, the page numbers of the original book do not display.
There are two different systems for rendering monographs: ePub and PDF. They have slightly different printing procedures.
- The ePub viewer includes a tool bar on the left-hand side of the screen. Click the downward arrow to the right of the printer icon and select Print Preview.
- Identify the required pages on the print preview screen. Click the printer icon on the top right of the print preview box.
- Specify the pages you wish to print on the next screen. Select Print.
- When prompted, enter your PCAS account details.
PDF eLD items do not have a print preview option. Page numbers are listed in the top left of the screen. The number in brackets indicates the page number you will need to request to print what is displayed.
- When you have identified the required pages, select the printer icon.
- Enter the required pages for printing. Note: the default printing range is all pages, which would contravene copyright.
- When prompted, enter your PCAS account details.