The RSL is participating in the NUS Green Impact scheme – to help us identify things we can do to be more environmentally sustainable, e.g. by saving energy and reducing waste.
Green Impact is an environmental accreditation and awards scheme run by the National Union of Students and coordinated at the University by the Environmental Sustainability Team in Estates.
Each team is required to complete a workbook of activities and then visited by a trained Student Auditor. In 2016 we received a Bronze Award and we followed this with a Silver award in 2017. Beth Gibbs also received a "Highly Commended" mention in the 2017 Individual Staff Award.
These are some of the things we are doing to make the RSL more green:
- Computers and other electrical devices are timed to automatically switch off in the evenings
- The PCAS machines are set to double-sided b/w printing by default and toner cartridges are recycled
- We have responsive lighting in low use areas of the building, e.g. toilets
- We acquired room thermometers and put up ‘before you go’ reminders in offices to help save energy
- We use FSC certified paper in our printers and A4 pads for sale
- We re-use envelopes, and single sided printouts as note paper
- As well as recycle bins throughout the RSL we also have a recycle station in the Entrance Hall for pens and batteries
- We use WARPit, the University’s recycling scheme, which has helped us recycle some of our old furniture
- We encourage staff to cycle or use public transport rather than bring cars into work
- Part of the scheme is to support a charity initiative, so we introduced an annual charity coffee morning, this year supporting BBOWT
We have a Green Impact noticeboard on level 3 of the RSL, which has more information on what we are doing to green the RSL. Our energy certificate can be seen here.
What can readers do to help?
If you have any suggestions for how we can be more environmentally sustainable please get in touch. Email email@example.com or speak to a member of staff.
RSL Green Impact team:
- Jasmine Donnelly
- Beth Gibbs
- Gigi Horsfield
- Andrew Kernot