Literature and Periodicals
- JSTOR - find and download the full text of journal articles. Retrospective coverage only.
- OU e-journals - find and download the full text of journal articles, many of which are available up to date.
- RILM - Compiled by the Répertoire International de Littérature Musicale, RILM Abstracts of Music Literature (1967-present) is the world's largest, continuously updated bibliography of music literature providing broad international coverage including records in over 100 languages from thousands of journals, books, dissertations, conference proceedings, Festschriften, and more.
- RIPM - RIPM was established to provide access to eighteenth-, nineteenth- and twentieth-century periodical literature dealing with music. While the importance of this monumental documentary resource has long been recognized by the musicological community, RIPM represents the first effort to undertake and to coordinate retrospective periodical indexing on an international scale.
- ProQuest - the database record for doctoral dissertations and master's theses. The database represents the work of authors from over 1,000 graduate schools and universities in North America and from around the globe.
Manuscripts and Early Printed Music
- DIAMM - a free online digital image archive of European sources of medieval polyphonic music, containing over 7,000 images and listing many more in cases where unrestricted access to the images is not currently possible. Please note that you must register in order to use this service.
- Early Music Online - the project to digitise 300 of the world's earliest surviving volumes of printed music, using copies in the British Library.
- RISM - an international non-profit joint venture which aims to comprehensively document the world's musical sources of manuscripts or printed music, works on music theory and libretti stored in libraries, archives, monasteries, schools and private collections. RISM documents what exists and where it is stored.
Reference texts online
- Oxford Music Online - the most comprehensive online reference resource for all aspects of music. Contains the full text of the New Grove Dictionary of Music, the Oxford Dictionary of Music and the Oxford Companion to Music.
Other specialised catalogues/resources
- Boosey & Hawkes Online Scores - register for free to peruse Boosey's scores online. Downloading and printing not possible.
- Choral Wiki (Choral Public Domain Library) - one of the world's largest free sheet music sites. You can use it to find scores, texts and translations of choral music.
- Concert Programmes - provides descriptions of concert programme collections held by leading libraries, archives and museums in the UK and Ireland.
- Encore - the union catalogue of sets of performance music in UK libraries.
- IMSLP (Petrucci Music Library) - a virtual library containing PDF files of 74,000 items of sheet music and scores in the public domain.
- NMA Online - digitised version of Mozart's collected works (Neue Mozart-Ausgabe).
Other library catalogues
- Cecilia - an online guide to music collections in archives, libraries and museums in the UK and Ireland.
- National Sound Archive - including a catalogue of archival sound recordings held by the British Library.
- OCLC WorldCat - catalogue detailing books, web resources and other materials held by OCLC member institutions worldwide.
- Royal Holloway 'Golden Pages' - a classified set of potentially useful links for musicologists.
- MusRef - a site devoted to music bibliography with links to a wealth of free online resources for music.