Academics and students are very welcome to curate exhibitions at the Taylor Institution Library, in liaison with the relevant subject librarian. We would advise you to contact your subject librarian at least 2-3 months in advance to discuss an exhibition proposal.
If you are organizing a conference or other event and think an accompanying exhibition appropriate, this should be factored in at the very beginning of the planning process and discussed with your subject librarian at that time. Any accompanying exhibition catalogue or other publication should also be discussed at this stage.
If you are organising an event that does not require a full exhibition (eg to accompany a research seminar/evening event), the library may be able to help organise a temporary display. Display items are selected and shown in the appropriate seminar room for the duration of the event rather than in the Voltaire Room exhibition cases. Please contact your subject librarian at least 4 weeks in advance to discuss temporary displays.
Conservation and vulnerable materials
In order to preserve our collections for continued use by researchers, the library reserves the right to withhold items from exhibitions if they are fragile or otherwise unsuitable for display.
Library staff support
- The library is happy to assist with promoting the exhibition. Library staff will help produce and print posters, will circulate details to college libraries, and will promote the exhibition on appropriate mailing lists and the library’s website, as well as through social media. Poster design must be finalized four weeks before the exhibition. It should include the phrase ‘Taylor Institution Library’ and the Bodleian Libraries’ logo. If you require professional quality printing, this must be arranged separately. The library is not able to cover external printing costs.
- Captions, details of book openings and accompanying display text must be provided at least 2 weeks in advance, to allow for consistent formatting and laminating (which will be done by the library). Text will be headed with the phrase ‘Taylor Institution Library’ and the Bodleian Libraries’ logo.
- Library staff will install the exhibition on the date agreed. Given sufficient notice, library staff may be able to collaborate in presenting the exhibition.
- Exhibition catalogues: See Print on Demand Publications (below).
- 2-3 months before (minimum): Contact your subject librarian to discuss the feasibility of your exhibition proposal and whether to have accompanying catalogue. Verify the Voltaire Room’s availability (or alternative) for your proposed display dates.
- 6 weeks before: Provide a complete list of items required for the exhibition.
- 4 weeks before: Finalize poster design, in consultation with the library.
- 2 weeks before: Provide captions, details of book openings and accompanying display text.