The English Faculty Library (EFL) was founded in 1914 and exists primarily to serve all those reading and teaching English at Oxford, as well as other readers requiring access to its collections. For many years it was housed in the attic of the Examination Schools before moving into the purpose-built St Cross Building in 1965.
The Library holds over 110,000 volumes and subscribes to around 80 current print journals, almost all of which are on open access. Its collections are catalogued on SOLO, the catalogue for the majority of library collections in the University of Oxford. Most books, except for those in our special collections, are available for loan to registered borrowers. The Library also holds an extensive audio visual collection supporting Shakespeare, poetry and Film Studies courses in Oxford.
The EFL also provides information skills training to support teaching and research in English at Oxford.