Our Scan & Deliver services are restarting from selected sites (depending on our ability to access buildings safely). Not all collections will be accessible instantly on this date as they are spread over 30 buildings, each of which must be prepared and made safe.
Please note in response to Covid-19 we are offering two scanning services:
- OffsiteScan: from offsite storage ordered through the usual SOLO process
- LibraryScan: from reading rooms: ordered through a new SOLO option
Ideally we would offer one ordering process but that has not been possible with the rapid development time.
The following is the current schedule for the reintroduction of Scan & Deliver:
Scan & Deliver
|Book Storage Facility close stack||29 June|
|Continuing Education Library||tbc|
|English Faculty Library||tbc|
|Health Care Libraries||tbc|
|History Faculty Library||29 June|
|History of Medicine Library||tbc|
|K B Chen China Centre||tbc|
|Latin American Centre||tbc|
|Leopold Muller Memorial Library||tbc|
|Bodleian Library - Old Library||29 June|
|Music Faculty Library||tbc|
|Oriental Institute Library||tbc|
|Philosophy and Theology Library||tbc|
|Radcliffe Camera||29 June|
|Radcliffe Science Library at VHL||tbc|
|Sackler Library||29 June|
|Social Science Library||29 June|
|Taylor Library||6 July|
|Vere Harmsworth Library||tbc|
|Weston Library open shelf collections||1 July|
The table will be updated as dates are confirmed.
The following FAQs provide detailed information about offsite Scan & Deliver service and how to request a scan.
Using Scan and Deliver
What is "Scan & Deliver"?
Scan & Deliver is an electronic document delivery service which enables you to obtain scans of book chapters or journal articles from the Bodleian Libraries' print collections.
It comprises two separate request routes:
- OffsiteScan for items in offsite storage/closed stack
- LibraryScan for items on the open shelves of libraries
How do I submit a request?
- If an item is in offsite storage/closed stack the OffsiteScan option will display in the Find & Request section of the record. Select this option and fill in the request form. You can request two scans per day.
- If an item is on an open-shelf in a library the LibraryScan option will display in the Export Options section of the record. Select this option and fill in the request form. You can request two scans per day.
- Often, both an open-shelf and offsite copy will be available. An OffsiteScan request should always be selected where available. If LibraryScan is chosen where OffsiteScan is also available staff will ask you to resubmit your request using OffsiteScan.
Who can use this service?
- OffsiteScan is available to all card holders.
- LibraryScan is only available to current members of the University with a SSO.
May I submit a request for an entire book or multiple chapters/articles?
You may only request up to one chapter or article from a book or journal. These limits are governed by copyright legislation.
Can I request a high-resolution or colour scan?
Scan & Deliver provides scans in black and white PDF at 300 dpi, although we will use greyscale/colour where appropriate to improve quality.
How many requests may I submit per day?
The limit is two Scan & Deliver requests per patron per working day.
How much does this service cost?
As part of our enhanced copying services in response to Coronavirus measures, this service is currently being provided free of charge.
Collecting your Scan & Deliver request
How will I know that my request has been completed?
Your scan will be posted on a server and you will receive an email including a link to the scan.
How long will it take to get my request?
Due to an increase in requests following Coronavirus measures, the Scan & Deliver service will aim to fulfill your scanning request within five working days. Please note that this turnaround time does not account for weekends and any University holidays.
How long will my request stay on the PDF server?
Your request will remain on the server for 14 days.
I deleted my PDF but I really need to look at it again. Do I have to re-request it?
There is a 14-day grace period for deleted requests. If you need us to restore your article please contact us as soon as you are able.
What happens if you can't complete my request?
Our scanning team will contact you with the reason and suggestions to help the request be fulfilled.
Thanks for the scan- is it okay if I post the PDF to a webpage to share with my students/classmates/colleagues?
Your Scan & Deliver request is for individual research use only, and may not be shared, distributed, or posted elsewhere online. The ordering process includes the copyright restrictions which need agreement before the request can proceed.
You have not answered my question – where can I go to to discover more information?
For more information email the Scan & Deliver team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the conditions of use for this service?
Please see the Scan & Deliver Ts and Cs.