Page last updated: 14 October 2020
Booking a time slot
Bookings can be made up to a week in advance and will close at 8am the day of your chosen time slot.
Book a time slot - on the booking website select a library from the list first, then choose a date and time for that space. The first available date will always been shown first.
If you are no longer able to attend the library, please cancel by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to free up availability for others.
We are currently experiencing a high demand for study spaces, therefore please:
- book with other readers in mind;
- check all relevant libraries for available dates; and
- check the evening before your desired slot for cancellations.
Check your library's opening times.
The following libraries are exemptions from the normal booking process
|Bodleian Education Library||
Reopening date TBC
|Bodleian Healthcare Libraries: Knowledge Centre||
Reopening date TBC
|Bodleian K B Chen China Centre Library||Email email@example.com|
|English Faculty Library||Book now||Open to University members only|
|Music Faculty Library||Email firstname.lastname@example.org||Open to University members only|
|Philosophy and Theology Faculties Library||Book now||
Open to University members only
|Sainsbury Library at the Saïd Business School||Email email@example.com||
Open to SBS members only
|Weston Library||Email firstname.lastname@example.org||View booking guidance before contacting the team|
If your library is not scheduled to reopen yet, you can still make use of our remote and digital services.
Who is eligible to use the libraries?
University students, staff and Bodleian Reader Card holders (with a valid card) are able to book a time slot to study in the libraries.
Bodleian Reader Card holders should contact our Admissions office about renewing their card if needed.
What collections are available?
You will be able to access:
- Our open shelf collections
- Non-print legal deposit material via our library computers; these must be booked in advance
- Special Collections at the Weston Library
- Closed stack deliveries from the Book Storage Facility (BSF)
Closed stack deliveries from the Book Storage Facility (BSF) have resumed for some libraries. To make use of this resource, check SOLO for availability in your chosen library, ensuring you have booked a seat in the reading room beforehand. Alternatively, use our free scan and deliver service.
How to book a study space in advance
Bookings can be made up to a week in advance and will close at 8am on the day of your chosen time slot. When you go to book you will see the first available date.
After making your booking, we will send you a confirmation email containing important information about the new safety arrangements within our buildings.
If you have not booked in advance, unfortunately you'll likely be turned away.
If you would like to use a library computer during your visit, you will need to book this in advance.
You will be able to do this using the same process as booking a study space.
The access provision varies across our libraries.
If you have any access needs, please email email@example.com before making your booking so that we can let you know what we can offer.
We will then ask you to include your request in the ‘Other Information’ box when you book your study space online.
Time limits on study spaces
There will be time limits for study spaces in some libraries. These will be announced by individual libraries as they reopen.
To cancel a time slot please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your booking confirmation email.
What to bring with you
- Your University or (valid) Bodleian Reader Card in order to enter the library;
- Proof of your booking (eg a screenshot or print out of your confirmation email);
- A face covering. Unless you are exempt under the government guidelines, we will turn you away if you don't have a face covering.
- Surgical masks are mandatory in the Bodleian Health Care Libraries situated inside hospitals.
Standard rules and regulations remain around items permitted in the libraries such as bags and KeepCups, unless otherwise stated.
When you arrive
- You'll need to use the sanitiser provided to clean your hands when you enter the library building;
- Floor markings and signage will indicate where you should enter and exit the library;
- Some libraries may have one-way systems, which will also be signed;
- If there is a queue to enter the library, please follow the markings on the floor and observe social distancing by remaining two metres behind the person in front;
- Give your name to the member of staff on duty and present your University or Bodleian Library card.
During your visit
To keep staff and other library users safe, we ask that you:
- Wear a face covering at all times in the library, unless you are exempt under the government guidelines;
- there may be specific exemptions for certain group study or seminar rooms - details will be provided outside individual rooms
- do not put your face covering down on desktops or shared surfaces
- Wash or sanitise your hands at regular intervals, including when handling books and collections.
You are welcome to come and go within your time slot, just remember you'll need to queue up again, present your University or Bodleian Library card and sanitise your hands when you come back in the building. At the end of your time slot, you may be asked to leave so we can clean the desks before the next session.
Some areas within the library may remain closed to readers, including cafes and common rooms.
Library specific guidance
Check specific guidance for individual libraries on their library websites.
Alternative ways to access library resources
Scan & Deliver
Scan & Deliver is an electronic document delivery service which enables you to obtain scans of book chapters or journal articles from the Bodleian Libraries' print collections ordered via SOLO. There are two scanning services:
- OffsiteScan: from off-site storage available to all card holders
- LibraryScan: from reading rooms available to current members of the University with a SSO
Click & Collect
Click & Collect enables access to the Bodleian Libraries' lending collections while usual borrowing procedures are suspended due to the restrictions on access to library sites. Borrowers will be able to place requests on SOLO for items which would usually be available to borrow.
Browse & Borrow
Browse & Borrow enables readers to access library spaces for independent browsing of open shelf collections, borrowing via self-issue machines, or borrowing at a staffed service point. Readers are admitted to library spaces, but they have not booked a workspace.
If you have further questions or need any help, please contact the individual library or email email@example.com.