Borrowing at the Taylor Institution Library
- All current members of the University with a (blue-stripe) University card may borrow from the Taylor Institution Library.
- Current members of the University are automatically pre-registered as members of the library.
- Bodleian Reader card holders may not borrow from the library.
- Most books from both the Teaching and Research collections can be borrowed.
- Books which cannot be borrowed are usually marked ‘Library Use Only’ on SOLO. Open-shelf reference works, periodicals, older (pre-1900) materials and rare or fragile items cannot be borrowed.
- For more information about items that are confined to the library, please ask library staff.
To borrow items, please bring them to a staff member at the issue desk, along with your University card. Alternatively, you may use the self-issue machine which is located next to the issue desk.
Borrowing allowances and loan periods
Our borrowing policy applies across all Bodleian Libraries that offer lending, including the Taylor Institution Library. Find out more about borrowing from the Bodleian Libraries, including how many items you can borrow, loan periods and automatic renewals. Your borrowing allowance includes films as well as books.
Vacation borrowing for most items begins on Monday of 8th Week each term.
The film collections are open to all those studying and teaching film in the Faculties of English and Modern Languages, as well as those using film to support other courses or research across the University.
Films may be borrowed for educational purposes only. Commercial copyright regulations strictly forbid the copying of DVDs and videos.
The library has a small film viewing room on the first floor of the Teaching Collection, with facilities to watch Blu-rays, DVDs and VHS tapes. For booking information, please see our Services page.
Renew and return
- Items will be renewed automatically, where possible.
- All readers can renew borrowed items manually online using SOLO, by phone (01865 278152) or email: email@example.com.
- Disabled readers with privileged membership may also renew and request reservations by email.
- Always return items borrowed from the Taylor to the book drop just outside the entrance to the Teaching Collection, or to the member of staff at the issue desk.