Because of the unique and irreplaceable nature of the material being consulted in the Rare Books & Manuscripts Reading Room, additional measures apply here over and above those which apply to general reading rooms, which readers are asked to observe:
- Readers may use only pencil.
- Bags and cases may not be taken into the reading room.
- Food and drink may not be consumed in the reading room.
- Readers are required to sit in the bays designated close to the Reserve Desk; reading room staff will advise.
- Only one item (ie, a file or volume) may be consulted at a time.
- Self-service photocopying is not allowed; please ask a member of staff if you wish to copy something.