4 July 2014
The Weston Library opens in phases to readers and researchers of special collections from 22 September 2014.
The newly-renovated building will accommodate new and existing facilities including:
- Reading rooms for the consultation of special collections (rare books, manuscripts, archives, music, maps)
- New research facilities (including support for digital scholarship)
- New teaching facilities (seminar rooms, lecture theatre)
- Improved conservation laboratories
- State-of-the-art storage for Bodleian Libraries' valuable special collections
Readers intending to consult collections should plan carefully to ensure that the relevant material is available for their visit.
- Important information about current and planned collection moves
- Using special collections reading rooms from September 2014 onwards
- Weston Library opening hours
The reading room in Rhodes House (Commonwealth and African collections) will close on Friday 12 September 2014. The services for Commonwealth and African collections will reopen in The Charles Wendell David Reading Room together with services for Oriental manuscripts and rare books on Monday 22 September 2014.
The special collections services currently delivered from the temporary Special Collections Reading Room at the Radcliffe Science Library and the maps and music service (currently in Duke Humfrey's Library) will close on Friday 19 September 2014. The services for western manuscripts and rare books and for maps will open in the Rare Books, Maps and Manuscripts Reading Room and for music in the Sir Charles Mackerras Reading Room on Monday 29 September 2014.
Duke Humfrey's Library will close on Friday 19 September 2014 and reopen on Monday 13 October 2014, maintaining its current opening hours. It will continue to function as an invigilated reading room supporting higher-level studies in the Humanities. Historic open-shelf material will remain in situ and will be transferred for consultation in the Weston Library as required, along with other special collections materials.
Lists of transferred and readily accessible collections will be available at www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/weston-moves as the moves progress.