15 January 2008
New Reading Rooms in the Old and New Bodleian Library:
Dec 2007 and Jan 2008
During the 2007-8 Christmas vacation, to improve services to readers, OULS will be creating new reading rooms in both the New and Old Bodleian Library.
Temporary Reading Room arrangements will be in place from14-21 December 2007 and 2-5 January 2008 as work is carried out. While normal services will be available and we will keep disruption to a minimum, some material may be unavailable as it is transferred.
If you have any queries about access to material during this time, please ring the Main Enquiry Desk in the Old Bodleian on (2)77162.
New Reading Rooms and Services
- Philosophy material has moved into the Lower Reading Room in the Old Library (room next to the one containing the Main Enquiry Desk). From Monday 10 December this will be the new Philosophy Reading Room
- The Philosophy Reading Room (first floor of New Bodleian) will be renamed the New Bodleian Reading Room
- From Friday 14 December all modern printed material formerly consulted in the Oriental Reading Room will be read upstairs in the New Bodleian Reading Room
- In January 2008, the Indian Institute enquiry service, its ASR delivery point and self service photocopying service will move down a floor to the New Bodleian Reading Room. Books on undergraduate and post-graduate taught course reading lists will also be moved to the New Bodleian Reading Room
- The Oriental Reading Room (ground floor New Bodleian) will be combined with the Modern Papers service and renamed the Special Collections Reading Room
- From Jan 7 modern and oriental manuscripts, rare books, ephemera and archives will be consulted in the Special Collections Reading Room
- From 7 January 2008 the New Bodleian Reading Room and the Special Collections Reading Room will be open M-F 0900-1900, Sat 1000-1600 throughout the year
- From 14 Jan 2008 the Indian Institute Library will be open to readers Mon-Fri 9.00-18.30 throughout the year
Temporary reading room arrangements
- On 14 and 15 Dec oriental manuscripts and rare books will be consulted in the Modern Papers Reading Room
- From 17-21 Dec and 2-5 Jan modern and oriental manuscripts, rare books and ephemera will be consulted in the New Bodleian Reading Room
Disabled readers using the Oriental and Modern Papers Reading Rooms
Whilst improvements to these rooms are made, alternative arrangements are in place for disabled readers who use both Oriental and Modern Papers to consult material from other Bodleian reading rooms. Please contact the Main Enquiry Desk on (2)77162.