If you have a question about the collections and services of the Bodleian Libraries and are:
- a current member of Oxford University
- a current member of the Bodleian Libraries
- a former member of the Bodleian Libraries needing to use the libraries
- an external enquirer needing information specifically about or held by the Bodleian Libraries
then Ask an Oxford Librarian by emailing Reader Services - firstname.lastname@example.org. Please check the frequently asked questions at the end of this page.
- email: email@example.com
- post: Main Enquiry Desk, Bodleian Library, Broad Street, Oxford OX1 3BG
- fax: 01865 277182 (+44 1865 277182 from outside the United Kingdom)
- telephone: 01865 277162 (+44 1865 277162 from outside the United Kingdom)
- Live Chat: Please use the Live Help box on the SOLO homepage, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Notes on the service
Ask an Oxford Librarian is an enquiry service provided by the Bodleian Libraries. We will respond promptly, usually within three working days (Monday to Friday), and often within 24 hours. More complex enquiries may take longer to answer where it is necessary to consult several sources and/or colleagues.
We will respond within five full working days of the receipt of an enquiry for at least 90% of correspondence, but in all cases within ten full working days of the receipt of an enquiry. Full working days are Monday to Friday except for the Easter and Christmas/New Year closure periods.
This service is provided for registered users of the Bodleian Libraries. We are also happy to respond to reference enquiries from external users only when they relate to Bodleian Libraries' collections and services. Please note that we are not able to undertake detailed research on behalf of enquirers.