Bodleian Libraries PCs are equipped with a range of software including Microsoft Office 2016 (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), browsers (Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge), Endnote, GIMP and iTunes.
To log in to a Bodleian Libraries PC, use your barcode number and your password. There is more information about library passwords on our Passwords page.
Please note that these PCs are not secure places to save documents. The PCs are reimaged each time you log off, which means that all documents saved to the Desktop and My Documents area are permanently deleted. Sessions will time out after 10 minutes of inactivity.
Quick Search PCs
The Library has a number of 'Quick Search' PCs. These computers gives access to key online resources and information without requiring readers to log on and can be used for searching the internet, including the SOLO library catalogue.
Using your laptop or mobile device in the Libraries
Readers are welcome to use their own laptops or mobile devices in the Libraries. Please note that some Libraries have designated silent study areas, and that laptops may not be used in some of these areas.
The Wi-Fi network in the Libraries allows all Bodleian Libraries readers to access the internet for free using one of three networks. Wi-Fi-enabled laptops, tablets and mobile phones can all use our Wi-Fi networks. Details of the three available networks and guides available to help you connect to the network are listed below. Alternatively, download our printable PDF guide.
- for all Oxford University students and staff
- for members of other academic institutions who have already set up their home eduroam account
- donít need to log in each time you use it
Oxford University staff and students will find guides on how to connect to eduroam on the IT Services website at http://help.it.ox.ac.uk/network/wireless/services/eduroam/index.
Members of other academic institutions need to have already set up their home eduroam account to use the network in Oxford. If you have problems using your account, please contact your home institutionís IT support service.
- use this network if you do not have access to eduroam or OWL
- for all registered users of the Bodleian Libraries
- log in each time you use it and after 30 minutes of inactivity
Connecting to this network
- Connect your laptop or mobile device to the Bodleian-Libraries network.
- Open a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox).
- You will be prompted for your barcode number (shown on your Library or University card) and your password (see below).
- You will need to log in to the network each time you visit the library.
Which password do I use?
You will need to use your Bodleian Libraries username and password to log on to "Bodleian Libraries" Wi-Fi and public computers. Your username is the barcode number from your University or Bodleian Reader card and you will need to set your password by visiting https://register.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/.
If you change your Library or University Card password, you will need to wait around one minute before using the new password to log on to the wireless network.
For more information about library passwords please visit our Passwords page.