Established in 1978, the Conservative Party Archive (CPA) is the official archive of the UK Conservative Party. Under an agreement made between the University of Oxford and the Conservative Party in 1978 the surviving historical records of the Party dating from 1867 to the present are housed in the Bodleian's Weston Library where, with some exceptions, they are available for consultation and study.
Unlike most special collections, the CPA continues to grow as more and more material - as well election memorabilia, film footage and increasingly, electronic content - are transferred to the Bodleian through its ongoing relationship with Conservative Campaign Headquarters.
Since 1996, the CPA has been owned, and supported financially, by the Conservative Party Archive Trust. This is an educational trust whose purpose is to promote the educational study of Conservative Party history. It exists solely to preserve and make available for study the records of the Party, and has no role in promoting the current or any future political activities.