Bodleian Archives & Manuscripts Requests is an online service that enables you to place requests for manuscripts and archives from the Bodleian Library’s special collections.
What can be requested
Not all archives and manuscripts can be requested via the new system.
You can request:
- Manuscripts and archives held onsite and described in one of our online catalogues.
- Manuscripts and archives held onsite described in printed catalogues.
At the moment, you cannot request:
- Manuscripts and archives that are held offsite.
- Modern archival items that are 'closed' for data protection or security reasons.
- Some restricted items in our early modern and modern collections.
- Items that are held by other institutions.
The majority of items with an online catalogue record can be requested. For those that can’t be requested, the record will include further information on whether this material can be ordered and instructions for how to do so.
Register with Bodleian Archives & Manuscripts Requests
To register with the request service, visit the login and registration page.
Select the relevant option:
- New readers who have not yet registered with the Bodleian Libraries should select 'Not yet registered with the library?'.
- Readers who already have a Bodleian Reader card (but are not members of the University) should select 'Bodleian Reader card holder'. You will then be asked for your library card account credentials (your username is the barcode on your library card).
- Staff, students and other members of the University with a Single Sign On account should select ‘Oxford University Staff and Students (SSO)’. You will be asked to enter your SSO credentials to register.
Complete the registration form and click ‘Submit information’.
You should then receive an email confirming that your account has been set up.
Making requests from our online catalogues
Note: If you are not familiar with using our online catalogues, please consult the Help pages of the relevant catalogue for advice on how to search and browse.
Go to the relevant online catalogue:
Select an item you would like to request to view the item's catalogue record. Click on the ‘Request this’ icon at the top of the item record.
If you are already logged in, you will then be taken straight to your basket in your Bodleian Archives & Manuscripts Requests account. If you are not logged in, you will be taken to your basket via the login page.
You can then return to the same catalogue or another catalogue to add more requests. At this stage, requests in your basket have not yet been submitted.
Submit your requests
To submit your request:
- Select request(s) in your basket using the check boxes
- Add date of visit and the delivery location (reading room)
- If you need to add any extra information to your request, you can select one of your individual requests (select 'Actions' and then 'Edit') and enter any information required before you submit.
- Click 'Submit'
- Your order(s) will then appear on the Home tab under ‘Active’ requests.
Making requests using a template form
If there is no online catalogue record for an item, you can make a request using a template form.
To do this:
- Login to Bodleian Archives & Manuscripts Requests
- Go to the 'New Request' tab in your account.
- Scroll down the page to the request form.
- Complete the form and click 'Submit'.
You must order material to one of the Weston Library's reading rooms. You should select the option that is relevant to your order:
- Level 1 (Western manuscripts and archives, music)
- Level 5 (Oriental, Commonwealth and African Collections)
For example, medieval manuscripts should be ordered to Level 1.