In preparation for the reopening of the New Bodleian as the Weston Library, a large proportion of special collections material has been moved and the reading room provision temporarily divided between two locations:
- Special Collections Reading Room (SCRR) at the Radcliffe Science Library (RSL)
- Duke Humfrey's Library
Note: The temporary SCRR at the RSL can become very busy at times. In order to ensure a reading space, prospective readers are encouraged, if possible, to book in advance of their visit. This can be done by emailing email@example.com or by telephoning +44 (0)1865 277046.
Current collection moves
Selected archives from the Bodleian Library for Commonwealth and African Studies (BLCAS) at Rhodes House are currently being moved to the Bodleian's Book Storage Facility (BSF). The printed book collection from BLCAS has already been moved to the BSF. The move is due to be completed in July 2014.
Material is available to order through the stack request system throughout this transition period, although readers may experience a short delay if the item they require is in transit. Please note the delivery time for items from the BSF is typically 24 hours.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Book moves: August 2014 onwards
From August 2014, we will begin moving material into the restored building. Our goal is to transfer our collections safely with minimal disruption to users. During the process, some items may be temporarily unavailable. We do not anticipate that any holdings from our collection will be out of circulation for more than two weeks at a time.
More information will be provided when details of the sequencing of collection moves is clarified and the timeframe becomes more established. Below is a general outline of planned collection moves.
- Archives from the Bodleian Library for Commonwealth and African Studies (BLCAS) at Rhodes House to Weston Library:
Aug 2014–Sept 2014
- Open shelf reference collections from Duke Humfrey, the Special Collections Reading Room at the RSL and other locations to Weston Library:
Aug 2014–Sept 2014
- Special Collections stack at the RSL to Weston Library:
Sept 2014–Mar 2015
- University Archives from off-site storage to Weston Library:
Mar 2015–Apr 2015
- Conservative Party Archive from the Old Library to Weston Library:
Apr 2015–May 2015
- Selected Special Collections from the BSF to Weston Library:
May 2015–Aug 2016
Reading room closures
- The reading room in Rhodes House (Commonwealth and African collections) will close on Friday 12 September 2014
- The Special Collections Reading Room at the RSL and Duke Humfrey's Library will close on Friday 19 September 2014
Weston Library opening dates
- Reading Rooms 1 and 2 for consulting rare books and manuscripts, maps and music: opening 29 September 2014
- Reading Room 3 for Commonwealth and African collections, Oriental manuscripts and rare books: opening 22 September 2014
- Special Collections Move Q&A
- Special Collections & Western Manuscripts
- Weston FAQs (information about the renovation)
Get in touch
Thank you for your patience as we progress these major projects.