14 September 2010
On 13 September 2010 the New Bodleian Library closed its doors to readers after nearly 70 years of service. The building will now undergo an extensive and overarching refurbishment resulting in its transformation into the Weston Library. The project will be complete in 2014/15, when the Library will re-open to provide enhanced, state-of-the-art facilities and services for readers and Special Collections, including enriched research facilities and improved public spaces.
Over the next four years, services previously available in this building will continue to be provided in different locations.
- The Special Collections Reading Room is now to be found in the Radcliffe Science Library and a dedicated Special Collections team and relevant resources have moved to this location.
- Duke Humfrey’s Library in the Old Bodleian will continue to serve those wishing to use Special Collections material and will focus on providing services for Maps and Music. The reading room will be closed temporarily between 13-18 September.
- Oriental open shelf material, previously available in the New Bodleian Reading Room, has moved to the Bodleian Oriental Institute Library. Oriental stack items can continue to be ordered via the stack request system.
- Material from the Indian Institute Reading Room has been moved either to the Bodleian Oriental Institute Library, Upper Camera (Indian history reading list items) or can be ordered via the stack request system.
- The John Johnson Collection will be available for consultation only by prior arrangement with the Librarian of the Collection. Please email (email@example.com) or telephone (+ 44 (1865) 277047) well in advance to arrange access.
- Visitors who have arranged to meet staff in the New Bodleian can gain access via the Facilities Bay on the west side of the building, accessed on Broad Street.
For further details of our plans to deliver improved services to readers and researchers via building renovations and improved collection management, please see our website www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk. Thank you for your patience as we progress these major projects.