The Legal Deposit UK Web Archive consists of three strands of web material:
Content collected through the UK 'domain crawl' (at least annually)
A UK domain crawl will be initiated at least annually. This domain crawl aims to capture as much of the UK's presence on the web as possible; this comprises more than 4 million websites and continues to grow. The first domain crawl conducted in 2013 contains 1.6 billion URLs from 3.8 million domains, or 31TB compressed data.
The second domain crawl, running June - December 2014, yielded 52TB of compressed data from 10.3 million domains.
250-500 'key websites' which will be archived more frequently (up to daily)
Most websites will only be captured once a year through the domain crawl described above. To provide better coverage for important websites selected sites will be archived more frequently.
'Special collections' (selected themes/events)The Legal Deposit Libraries will select a number of themes or events to form the basis of 'special collections' each year. Each special collection will include a few hundred websites selected by appropriate curators from the Legal Deposit Libraries.
Special Collections available now:
- Health and Social Care Act 2012 - NHS Reforms
Special Collections 2014:
- Winter Olympics Sochi, 2014
- European Parliament Elections, 2014
- First World War Centenary, 2014-18
- Scottish independence referendum, 2014
- Commonwealth Games, Glasgow, 2014
Special Collections 2015:
- UK General Elections
- Magna Carta 800th Anniversary
- First World War Centenary (continued from 2014)
- Easter Rising 1916 Centenary (collection starts in 2015)
- End of Second World War 70th Anniversary
- Forth Railway Bridge 125th Anniversary
- Rugby World Cup
In addition, collections can be created to document the UK online response to current events. Collections of this kind include:
- The death of Margaret Thatcher in April 2013
- The death of Nelson Mandela in December 2013
- UK response to Typhoon Haiyan, November 2013 - January 2014
- UK response to the Ebola crisis, November 2014 - (ongoing)
See Identifying UK Websites and electronic publications for further detail on the content which may be collected under the provisions of the Legal Deposit Libraries (Non-Print Works) Regulations 2013.