Search the Collections
There are several finding aids to the Collection. Please be aware that these are incomplete. If you do not find material relevant to your research, please ask.
There are around 680 subject sections in the Collection. Indexes are brief guides to the arrangement of the material in the boxes. These are linked from two lists: Alphabetic (all JJ sections in one list) and Broad Theme (grouped by the main sections of the Collection, e.g. Entertainment, Transport).
To gain maximum benefit from the online catalogue, please read the Search tips.
The John Johnson Collection: an archive of printed ephemera is a JISC-funded project, partnered by ProQuest. Although the same records can be seen on our online catalogue, images for most of the material in the following categories are only available through the ProQuest site:
- 19th century Entertainment
- Popular Prints (but not Political Cartoons)
- Booktrade (but not Booktrade Trade Cards, which are currently being catalogued and made available through our online catalogue
- Crime, Murders and Executions. This section has been further enhanced with links to other online resources through Mapping Crime.
The ProQuest project is cross-searchable with other collections through Connected Histories.
Images which have been created for projects, with the exception of the ProQuest project [see above], are available on the Johnson online catalogue in addition to the project sites. Please see the table to find the relevant sites.
Images created for The John Johnson Collection: an archive of Printed Ephemera (ProQuest) are available exclusively via the ProQuest site which is available free of charge to UK HE, FE, Public Libraries and Schools (the last two through free subscription). Outside the UK it is available through institutional subscription only . The records (without images) are available through the Johnson online catalogue.
Items from the John Johnson Collection can be found in the following digital projects:
- Toyota Project: Motor Car ephemera and sample Transport images
- Bodleian Library Broadside Ballads. All ballads in the Bodleian, including Johnson ballads
- JIDI project, hosted by VADS. The Political Cartoons and Trades and Professions Prints in the John Johnson Collection are cross-searchable with other collections. VADS is itself cross-searchable with further collections through Culture Grid.
- The Oxford Digital Library Writing Blanks, Board Games and 18th century Entertainment.
- The First World War Digital Poetry Archive