Chinese Studies e-resources
For information about these resources, please click here.
And in case of problems, please click here.
As part of the Taiwan Resource Centre for Chinese Studies we also offering a list of free e-resources from Taiwan.
The China Centre has a collection of Chinese films and documentaries. Please contact the Chinese Studies Administrator on how to get access.
Comprising Duxiu 讀秀, Wenshi Ziliao 文史資料, and SuperStar Digital Library 超星數字圖書館. Click here for notes on how to use.
- China Economy, Public Policy, and Security Database (Pishu) 皮書 (East View)
- Apabi eBooks 電子書
- China Reference Works Online 中國工具書網絡出版總庫 (CNKI)
- Oxford Chinese Dictionary (OUP)
- Studentís Dictionary of Classical and Medieval Chinese (Brill)
- Oxford Bibliographies - Chinese Studies (OUP)
- Brillís Encyclopedia of China (Brill)
- Encyclopedia of Chinese Language and Linguistics (Brill)
- Digital Dictionary of Buddhism 電子佛教辭典 (University of Tokyo)
- China Research Perspective Online formerly published as Yearbooks of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (Brill)
- Bibliography of Asian Studies (BAS) (EBSCO)
- National Index to Chinese Newspapers and Periodicals and Republican Chinese Periodical Full-text Database (1911-1949) 全國報刊索引 (Shanghai Library); alternative link; previous server
- National Social Science Database 国家哲学社会科学学术期刊数据库 (Library of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences) Open Access Repository. A list of the included journals has been created by our colleagues in Cambridge.
- PerioPath: Index to Taiwan Periodical Literature System 臺灣期刊論文索引系統 (National Central Library)
- China Academic Journals 中國期刊全文數據庫 (CNKI)
- Sinica Sinoweb 經典人文學刊庫 (中央研究院)
- Airitri Library - Taiwan Electronic Periodical Services 臺灣電子期刊服務網 (airiti)
- Full-Text Image System for Periodicals of Japanese Ruled Period in Taiwan 日治時期期刊全文影像系統 (National Taiwan Library)
- Hong Kong Journals Online (Hong Kong University Library)
- China Core Newspapers Database 中國重要報紙全文數據庫 (CNKI)
- People's Daily: archive 人民日報
- People's Daily: current 人民日報
- PLA Daily 解放軍報
- Shenbao 1872-1949 申報
- North China Herald 1850-1940 (Brill) alternative link
- Chinese Newspapers Collection (1832 - 1953) (Proquest)
- WiseSearch (Wisers 慧科)
- Old Hong Kong Newspapers (Hong Kong Public Libraries)
- NewspaperSG (Singapore Government)
- The library has access to a Social Media Monitoring Service from Hong Kong, please contact library staff for the login details.
- Siku Quanshu 四庫全書 Please note that this database only works with Internet Explorer.
- Academia Sinica 25 Histories Database 二十五史
- Mingqing Shilu 明清實錄 (Airusheng)
- Chinese local gazetteers 中國方志庫 (Airusheng) Please see the instructions and title list.
- Imperial Encyclopaedia 欽定古今圖書集成
- CHANT (CHinese ANcient Texts) Ě漢達文庫 (Chinese University of Hong Kong)
Collections of digital facsimiles
- Serica (Bodleian Library)
- Digital East Asia Collections (Bavarian State Library)
- Digitized Collections (Berlin State Library)
- Cambridge Digital Library (Cambridge University Library)
- Collections de l'Institut des hautes études chinoises (IHEC) (Collège de France)
- Chinese Digitized Material (National Library of Australia)
- Ivy Plus Libraries' Digital Projects on East Asia (Duke University Library)
- East Asian Library Digital Bookshelf (Princeton East Asian Library)
- East Asian Digital Library (Princeton East Asian Library)
- Ling Long Women's Magazine (C.V. Starr East Asian Library)
- Chinese Marriage Documents (1909-1997) (Pittsburgh University Library)
- Chinese Land Records (1584-1978) (Pittsburgh University Library)
- Modern China Studies - 1912-1955 (primary sources and reference tools) (Pittsburgh University Library)
- Ming Qing Women Writers (Mc Gill University Library)
- Digital Silk Road (Toyo Bunko)
- International Dunhuang Project (British Library)
- Naxi Manuscripts (Harvard-Yenching Library)
- Chinese Pamphlets (Center for Research Libraries)
- Digital Taiwan 典藏臺灣 (Academia Sinica)
- Union Catalog of Chinese Rare Books 中文古籍聯合目錄 (National Central Library)
- Chinese Rare Book Image Database 古籍影像檢索 (National Central Library)
- Database of Chinese Rubbings 金石拓片資料 (National Central Library)
- Contemporary Celebrities' Manuscripts 當代名人手稿典藏系統 (National Central Library)
- Full-Text Image System for Books of Japanese Ruled Period in Taiwan日治時期圖書全文影像系統 (National Taiwan Library)
- Digital Collections (National Taiwan University Library)
Statistics and YearbooksPlease also see the Bodleian Data Library website on Data on China.
- China Statistical Yearbooks Full-text Database 中國統計年鑒數據庫 (CNKI)
Please note that to access the latest data the Chinese version of the database should be used.
The English version of the database is updated with a certain delay necessary for translation.
- China Data Online (University of Michigan China Data Center)
- National Population Census of China 2010年中國人口普查數據庫 (CNKI)
- Apabi Yearbooks Database apabi 年鑒庫
Policies and Laws
- PKU Law 北大法寳 (Peking University)
Theses and Dissertations
- China Doctoral Dissertations Full-text Database 中國博士學位論文數據庫 (CNKI)
- China Masters' Theses Full-text Database 中國優秀碩士學位論文數據庫 (CNKI)
- National Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations in Taiwan 臺灣博碩士論文知識加值系統 (National Central Library)
- Modern Local Gazetteers 新方志 (Wanfang)
- Chinese Film and Newsreel Scripts from the Cultural Revolution (Brill) alternative link
- Cultural Revolution Database 中國文化大革命文庫 (Chinese University of Hong Kong)
- Chinese Anti-Rightist Campaign Database 中國反右運動數據庫 (Chinese University of Hong Kong)
- Chinese Great Leap Forward/Great Famine Database 中國大躍進ó大飢荒數據庫 (Chinese University of Hong Kong)
Free e-resource collections
- PRC History Group (H-PRC)
- OGEA - Online Guide East Asia (Berlin State Library)
- Chinese Studies on the World Wide Web (Cambridge University Library)
- Modern Chinese Literature and Culture (MCLC) Resource Center (Ohio State University)
- Manchu tools (University of Leiden)