There are five reading rooms in the Old Bodleian Library and Radcliffe Camera, and the two buildings are connected by the underground Gladstone Link, a further reader space. Material housed in these areas can be found and located using SOLO, the library catalogue.
More details of the collections and services available in each location can be found on the individual reading room webpages. Information on the services and facilities offered for readers with disabilities can be found on the accessibility information page.
The Old Bodleian Library
- houses the Main Enquiry Desk and Enquiry Service;
- holds Classics, Theology and Patristics, and Philosophy collections;
- also holds some General Reference material.
Readers wishing to call material from closed stacks to Lower Reading Room can request this to "Bod Lower RR Self-Collect" using SOLO.
- holds research collections in Medieval and Modern History, History of Science, English Language and Literature;
- offers a large number of study seats;
- is supported by a dedicated staff desk.
Readers wishing to call material from closed stacks to Upper Reading Room can request this to "Bod Upper RR Self-Collect" or "Bod Upper RR Staffed Desk" using SOLO.
- holds collections supporting higher-level studies in the Humanities, including local history, and historical reference material;
- offers seating in silent study conditions and an historic setting.
Readers should be aware certain restrictions apply in using this room.
The Gladstone Link
The Gladstone Link:
- offers a different and more flexible environment to work in;
- has areas designed to support group work and quiet discussion, as well as desks for individual study;
- is split over two levels. The Lower Gladstone Link houses Bodleian Library high-use Humanities material in an interdisciplinary sequence. The Upper Gladstone Link houses some of the History Faculty Library's main lending collection, which continues there from the Lower Camera Reading Room.
The Radcliffe Camera
- is the operational base of the History Faculty Library, and is the circulation point for HFL material;
- holds the initial part of the History Faculty Library's main lending collection, which continues in the Gladstone Link;
- Staff at the circulation desk support users of both the HFL collections and the Bodleian Library material housed in the Upper Camera Reading Room and the Gladstone Link.
- holds the Bodleian Library teaching collections for History and English, as well as a collection of Film Studies material.
- also holds the History Faculty Library's Undergraduate Set Text reference collection;
- is the locations of the History Faculty Library staff office.