In the early nineteenth century the Radcliffe Trustees resolved to turn the Radcliffe Library – until then a general accumulation of books and manuscripts – into a comprehensive scientific and medical collection.
In 1860, following a plan conceived by the sixth Radcliffe Librarian, Henry Wentworth Acland, the contents of the Library were moved to the recently opened University Museum on the edge of the University Parks. The old building was occupied by the Bodleian, and was renamed the Radcliffe Camera.
In 1901 the ever-growing Radcliffe collections moved into a new building, the Radcliffe Science Library. An extension to this Library, funded by the Rockefeller Foundation, opened in 1934. Its Rare Books Room had a fine pair of wooden doors, designed by Eric Gill and carved by Donald Potter, that depicted six great Oxford scientists. Their ground-breaking works could all be found in the Library's collections.