2 March 2010
From 2 March 2010, ‘Oxford University Library Services’ will be known as the ‘Bodleian Libraries’. The Bodleian claims the founding of the Library in 1602 as a result of the efforts of Sir Thomas Bodley (1545- 1613) to re-establish the University library following its decline in the latter half of the 16th century. Sir Thomas’s birthday was 2 March and we celebrate his 465th birthday with our rename.
The decision to retire the administrative entity known as OULS recognises the strength of the Bodleian name worldwide as a library of distinction. The building constructed as Bodley’s legacy will continue to be known as the Bodleian Library, and the collective name for the libraries comprising the integrated library service will be the Bodleian Libraries.