What we're doing
- Low energy LED lights with motion sensors have been installed throughout the library.
- We leave the lights off in the Discussion Rooms, the Information Skills Training Room & the Q-Step Centre Teaching Lab when these rooms are not in use.
Photocopying & Printing
- We switch off two of our five copiers during low-use periods (all day in vacation, evenings and weekends in term-time).
- We have programmed the copiers to go into low-energy ‘sleep’ mode when not in use.
- We use recycled paper in all our photocopiers & printers.
- Library staff printers are set up to print double-sided by default.
- Reader printing via the Bodleian Libraries PCAS system is double-sided by default.
- We provide scanned chapters and articles for reading lists - staff scan a reading once and it is then available to all students in the class.
- We switch off all PCs overnight.
- We no longer switch on reader PCs in the morning - other PCs are switched on by readers as needed.
- The reader PC displays are set to enter standby mode after a few minutes of inactivity.
- Library staff have set their personal PCs to hibernate after a short period of inactivity.
- We have set PC monitor brightness as low as possible.
Waste & recycling
- We sell reusable KeepCups (glass and plastic). As well as being acceptable for hot drinks inside the SSL, these prevent disposable cup waste. The Manor Road Building café offers a discount on hot drinks when using your own cup.
- We sell SSL cotton bags as an alternative to plastic bags.
- We offer a choice of plastic, cardboard or a combination of cover sheets for use with our binding machine.
- Many of the stationery items we sell are made from recycled materials.
- We provide clearly labelled ‘waste points’ so readers can take their recycling and general waste to a single location. The standard University labels and posters are available on the Environmental Sustainability Team’s website.
- Unwanted, non-legal deposit, books are sent to Better World Books for reuse or recycling.
Back to Sustainability
- We encourage readers and staff to save energy and paper via posters and campaigns. Check out some of our previous campaigns.