All reading rooms in the Science Libraries have wireless access, and many desks in the RSL have power sockets easily accessible.
The RSL has several laptop locks available for loan which can be used to secure your laptop to a desk - please ask at the Enquiry Desk in the Entrance Hall if you would like to use one.
Points to note
- ICT staff can block any IP address reported as misusing the network.
- If your IP address has been blocked from the network please contact library staff to request reinstatement.
Bodleian Libraries PCs are equipped with a range of software including Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer.
To log in to a Bodleian Libraries PC, use your barcode number and your password. There is more information about library passwords at Oxford LibGuides.
Please note that these PCs are not secure places to save documents, as they are reimaged each time you log off .
Wi-Fi access in the Libraries
The Wi-Fi network in the Libraries allows all Bodleian Libraries readers to access the internet for free using one of three networks. Wi-Fi-enabled laptops, tablets and mobile phones can all use our Wi-Fi networks. Details of the three available networks and guides available to help you connect to the network are listed below. Alternatively, download our printable PDF guide.
- for all Oxford University students and staff
- for members of other academic institutions who have already set up their home eduroam account
- donít need to log in each time you use it
Oxford University staff and students will find guides on how to connect to eduroam on the IT Services website at http://help.it.ox.ac.uk/network/wireless/services/eduroam/index.
Members of other academic institutions need to have already set up their home eduroam account to use the network in Oxford. If you have problems using your account, please contact your home institutionís IT support service.
- use this network if you do not have access to eduroam or OWL
- for all registered users of the Bodleian Libraries
- log in each time you use it and after 30 minutes of inactivity
Connecting to this network
- Connect your laptop or mobile device to the Bodleian-Libraries network.
- Open a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox).
- You will be prompted for your barcode number (shown on your Library or University card) and your password (see below).
- You will need to log in to the network each time you visit the library.
Which password do I use?
Library Cards and University Cards are issued with a default password of your date of birth in the format DDMMMYYYY (e.g. 29FEB1989). You should reset your password to something more secure as soon as possible online at https://register.bodleian.ox.ac.uk.
If you change your Library or University Card password, you will need to wait around one minute before using the new password to log on to the wireless network.
For more information about library passwords please visit our Passwords page.