Privileged borrowing of RSL material designated Library Use Only (ie not normally lent) is available to teaching and research staff and doctoral students of science departments (including clinical medical departments).
Privileged Borrowers must agree to, and abide by, the library's borrowing regulations shown below.
Application forms are available at the Enquiry Desk at the RSL.
- Items may be borrowed from the RSL by those who meet the qualifying criteria after completion of the application form.
- Items may be borrowed at the Enquiry Desk or Lending Desk in the Entrance Hall. Staff are empowered to refuse permission if it is considered that the items are likely to be required by other readers.
- The following classes may not be borrowed, save for exceptional reasons approved by Reader Services Librarians:
- General reference items
- Reference copies of standard textbooks at undergraduate level (loan copies of these are available)
- Current issues of periodicals
- Books from the Rare Book room or other books of exceptional value
- Items owned by the Bodleian Library rather than the RSL
- The loan period is 7 days and, if the item is returned late, fines are charged at 20p per day per item.
- Items must be returned to the Enquiry Desk or Lending Desk.
- The Borrower must have a locked office or secure area within his or her Department. Borrowed items must be kept in the locked office or secure area, and may only be consulted there or within the RSL.
- Items may not be transferred to any other person, whether a Privileged Borrower or not.
- Borrowing privileges are withdrawn from those persons who, for whatever reason, no longer have a departmental office or secure space in the department (e.g. upon retirement).
- Any Borrower losing, damaging or marking a Library volume will be required to replace it at his or her own cost, and may be subject to other proceedings including possible exclusion from the Library.
- Any item borrowed should be returned as soon as the Borrower has finished with it. The loan period is 7 days.
- Items may be renewed up to 9 times: by phone, online, or in person.
- Items must be returned immediately if recalled by library staff.
- Any person failing to comply with these regulations is likely to be deprived of the privilege of borrowing.