Temporary closure of the Oriental Institute Library between 14 July and 12 August 2018.
6 June 2018
The building work associated with the replacement of the heating system in the Oriental Institute is planned for the coming Long Vacation. This will significantly affect the library spaces, with the expectation that it will not be safe for readers to access the library and staff will only be able to do so under a protocol agreed with the contractors.
The library closure will currently take place between 14 July and 12 August. The protocol allows staff access for an hour at the end of every day to fetch books requested by readers. These will be made available for collection in the Sackler Library.
If you are planning to work in the library over the summer vacation, please note that the dates may change.
Summer Vacation opening hours for the Oriental Institute Library:
- Weeks 9 (18-23 June): Monday to Friday: 9am - 7pm, Saturday: 11am - 5pm.
- Weeks 10 (25-29 June): Monday to Friday: 9am - 7pm.
- From Monday 2 July to Friday 13 July, Monday 13 August to Friday 28 September: Monday to Friday: 9am - 5pm.
- The library will be closed on August Bank Holiday Monday (27 August) and the days of St. Giles’ Fair (3-4 September).
- A system of transfer of material from OIL to the Sackler Library from 4pm on Fridays when the Library is not open on the following Saturday was trialled last Summer and continues (running from 29 June). This will cater for non-lending material and for readers without borrowing privileges. It is expected that material transferred in this way will be returned to OIL by 10am on the following Monday but we may consider requests from readers to keep the material on reserve in Sackler for their convenience. In this case, material transferred on Friday 13 July may be kept in the Sackler throughout the exceptional closed period.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused.