Wi-Fi access in the Libraries
The Wi-Fi network in the Libraries allows all Bodleian Libraries readers to access the internet for free using one of three networks. Wi-Fi-enabled laptops, tablets and mobile phones can all use our Wi-Fi networks. Details of the three available networks and guides available to help you connect to the network are listed below. Alternatively, download our printable PDF guide.
- for all Oxford University students and staff
- for members of other academic institutions who have already set up their home eduroam account
- donít need to log in each time you use it
Oxford University staff and students will find guides on how to connect to eduroam on the IT Services website at http://help.it.ox.ac.uk/network/wireless/services/eduroam/index.
Members of other academic institutions need to have already set up their home eduroam account to use the network in Oxford. If you have problems using your account, please contact your home institutionís IT support service.
- use this network if you do not have access to eduroam or OWL
- for all registered users of the Bodleian Libraries
- log in each time you use it and after 30 minutes of inactivity
Connecting to this network
- Connect your laptop or mobile device to the Bodleian-Libraries network.
- Open a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox).
- You will be prompted for your barcode number (shown on your Library or University card) and your password (see below).
- You will need to log in to the network each time you visit the library.
Which password do I use?
Library Cards and University Cards are issued with a default password of your date of birth in the format DDMMMYYYY (e.g. 29FEB1989). You should reset your password to something more secure as soon as possible online at https://register.bodleian.ox.ac.uk.
If you change your Library or University Card password, you will need to wait around one minute before using the new password to log on to the wireless network.
For more information about library passwords please visit our Passwords page.
Using wireless in the Library and surrounding areas
It is possible to connect to the Department of Education's wireless network whilst in the Library. The Department has wireless networking throughout its public areas. These public areas are Seminar rooms A, B, C, D, E, F, G/H and K/L. Other areas covered are the common room and garden.
You will need a remote access account and to install a VPN client.
How to register for wireless
1. Connect to OWL from your list of available networks. It will tell you it is unsecure but connect anyhow. Open your browser and you will be taken to Visitor network login. Click on the self registration link on the right.
2. Enter your Single Sign On username and password, which are the same ones you use for Nexus Email. From there you can register for a Remote Access account and download the VPN client
How to connect to OWL when registered
1. Connect to OWL from your list of available networks.
2. Run your VPN client
3. Double click on OUCS
4. Sign on with your Single Sign On username and Remote Access password
For more information
Once you are registered for OWL you will be able to connect to other wireless sites around the university. For a list of these go to