What forms of identity do I need to bring?

All readers are required to present two forms of identification in addition to their completed Bodleian Libraries' Admissions form:

  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of home address

Staff and students of universities are also required to provide evidence of their current status and duration of status (see below).

All forms of identification should be presented in the original and should be in English. It is your responsibility to provide an official translation where necessary.

Accepted forms of identification are shown below. If you are unable to provide any of the forms of identity listed, please contact us in advance of your visit.  

Proof of Identity  

  • Passport*
  • Photo driving licence*
  • National identity card*
  • Bank card
  • Credit card
  • Photo bus pass
  • Police/Customs/Home Office/Warrant Card

*These items may be presented as both proof of identity and proof of permanent address, where the address has been officially printed. 

Proof of Permanent Address

  • Utility bill (electricity, gas, Internet, telephone, water)
  • Bank statement
  • Building society statement
  • Credit card statement
  • Payslip (where both the employer's and the employee's addresses are stated)
  • Council Tax bill
  • TV Licence

The above items should be dated within six months of the current application being made.

Academic Affiliations

If you are a member of a university, in addition to proof of identity and proof of address, we will also require evidence of your academic status. For staff and students of HEFCE (Higher Education Funding Council for England) funded institutions, library access may be granted without charge; the details of your academic affiliation will be used to issue an appropriate card for the current affiliation that you hold. In the case of permanent staff members of HEFCE funded institutions a long-term Bodleian Reader Card may be issued (evidence of permanency of post is required).

Acceptable forms of academic affiliation are:

A valid student or staff card

The student or staff card should clearly show your status (e.g. undergraduate, taught postgraduate, research postgraduate, staff) and end date of affiliation.

A signed letter of introduction from a supervisor/tutor/employer on the institution's official letterhead

Letters of introduction should include details of your status, and the expected end date of this affiliation, or permanency in the case of staff.

A copy of a university staff contract

University contracts should outline your status and the expected end date of your affiliation, or permanency.

Back to top