Your hire fee gives you exclusive use of the specific rooms you have hired. We are a working Library, open to readers seven days a week, so at most times the Old Schools Quadrangle, the Proscholium and the toilets will be open to readers during your hire period. However, on Saturday and Sunday after 5pm you will have exclusive use of these spaces as well as the rooms you have hired.
We are there to guide you from the time you book our rooms, to the big day itself. We are available to meet you for your initial visit, for your planning meeting on site with your caterer and florist, and for a final pre-wedding meeting. We prepare a detailed timetable for the event, based on your plans and requirements. We're there throughout the process to discuss your plans and ideas, and to answer your queries.
- The Bodleian is a working library, and on Monday to Friday inclusive the reading rooms are used by students and academics until 10pm in term time, and until 7pm in vacation. At these times the quadrangles, and the Library entrance spaces are open to the public. On Saturday and Sunday the site is closed to readers and the public after 5pm, and you will have exclusive use.
- Before confirming a reservation with us, clients must make arrangements with the Oxford Registry Office and provide us with a copy of the confirmation of the booking.
- We regret we cannot allow the use of confetti in any part of our site, including the quadrangles. This includes confetti made from natural or bio-degradable materials.
- The Bodleian Library does not permit any naked flames in or around its buildings, so we regret that candles are not allowed. Our team can advise on attractive substitutes.
- If there is a concert in the Sheldonian Theatre during your wedding or function, we require your music to be played at background level until the concert ends (usually around 10pm). Our staff will inform your musicians once the concert has finished. Our site is surrounded by colleges where residents are sleeping, and we require music to be played at a reasonable level at all times.
- Due to the age of the architecture, building works may from time to time alter points of entry and affect the external appearance of the buildings.
- We are custodians of these historic rooms within Oxford University, and in order to protect them, there are certain regulations that need to be abided by when booking an event with us. To find out more, contact our team to discuss your function or to obtain our terms and conditions of hire.
All three of our rooms for hire have level or ramped access, but please be aware that there are 4 steps up and 3 steps down, between the Divinity School and Convocation House. A guest in a wheelchair wishing to move between these two rooms would need to take the outdoor route.
We have a toilet for disabled users. There are five on-street disabled parking spaces near the Bodleian Library: one (1) in front of Exeter College; two (2) outside Blackwell's Bookshop on Broad Street and two (2) on South Parks Road, near the King's Arms pub.
Please refer to the Oxford Information Centre (01865 726871 or http://www.visitoxford.org/) for more information on disabled parking spaces and procedures.
We are licensed for music, dancing and the service of alcohol from 8am to midnight every day.
All three of our rooms are licensed for civil weddings and civil partnerships.
Caterers, furniture hire and other suppliers
The client arranges his or her own suppliers selected from a recommended list, including caterers, furniture hire, florists and musicians. This gives you the freedom to design the wedding of your dreams, using your chosen providers.
We can offer you two parking places for your suppliers for the duration of the hire. We regret we have no parking for guests on site.
Tel: +44 (0)1865 277224
Fax: +44 (0)1865 277218