What is it?
The SSL has made studying easier, by scanning and uploading the book chapters and articles you need, to WebLearn. The SSL eReadings service has analaysed the Social Science reading lists we support and made key digital scans of key readings.
With SSL eReadings you will be able to:
- Access essential course readings online; anywhere, anytime.
- Download or print to read offline.
- Search full-text digital scans.
- Highlight, and comment on the digital copy.
Requesting a scan
We are actively adding material to SSL eReadings, but if you can't find the readings that you need the please email your request to ssl-orders [at] bodleian.ox.ac.uk or alternatively complete the online form on the eReading site itself.
There are a number of things to bear in mind when requesting a scan and it may not always be possible for us to fulfil your request. We make scans available through the CLA Higher Education Licence, which has certain restrictions. Most UK publications are permitted and many from publishers that have offices in multiple countries. However, the UK does not have scanning agreements with all countries and some are restricted arrangements.
During term there is usually very high demand for scans. We therefore recommend that requests are made at least 2 weeks in advance of the week in which they are set so scans can be made available in time.
Requests submitted with less notice may not be ready for when they are required.
What we can scan
- 1 chapter or 10% from a book whichever is greater.
- 1 article from a print journal
- Essential/required readings on Social Science reading lists.
- Published in the U.K. and from select foreign countries/publishers.
What we can't scan
- Readings from e-journals available online or through OU e-journals and SOLO.
- Readings from e-books available online or through SOLO.
- Readings from different editions of the same title.
If we cannot create a scan of your request, we'll let you know why and try to find suitable alternatives where possible. There are some useful links to other eresources on the right of this page which mat also be helpful.
If you want to know more about the SSL eReadings service please email ssl-orders [at] bodleian.ox.ac.uk.