Brief details of the EFL's special collections are listed below. Please note that access is restricted to 9.00am - 5.00pm.
The Wilfred Owen Collection
The collection was presented to the English Faculty in 1975 by Mrs Harold Owen and consists of Owen's personal library, together with manuscripts, photographs, letters and an almost complete set of The Hydra, the Journal of the Craiglockhart War Hospital. The manuscripts, The Hydra, and a few other items have been digitised and can be viewed via the First World War Poetry Digital Archive.
For access or if you have any queries, please apply to: email@example.com
The Meyerstein CollectionThe collection consists of the literary works and papers of E.H.W. Meyerstein (1889-1952).
Ian Hislop viewing the Owen collection (March 2009)
Books and journals relating to the study of Old Norse-Icelandic language and literature are held in the Turville-Petre Room. Books at shelfmark CJ may be borrowed.
The core lending collection has benefited by the addition of: the personal library of the late Professor E.O.G. (Gabriel) Turville-Petre (1908-1978), Professor of Ancient Icelandic Literature & Antiquities, Oxford University, 1953-1975; the W.P. Ker (1855-1923) Collection, comprising approximately 700 volumes (including some important antiquarian material) on permanent loan from All Souls; the York Powell Collection, approximately 1200 volumes from the libraries of Gudbrandur Vigfusson (1827-1889) and Frederick York Powell (1850-1904) (including many rare items from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, Scandinavian and German editions and critical works) on permanent loan from Christ Church.
For more information about this collection, see our online guide: Old Norse-Icelandic language and literature at the EFL
See also: EGIL (Electronic Gateway for Icelandic Literature).
The Napier Collection
The Old and Middle English sections of the library were based on Professor A.S. Napier's (1853-1916) personal library, which was acquired in 1916. The Napier pamphlets include many scarce late 19th and early 20th century academic dissertations on Old and Middle English philology.
Oxford University was a partner in the RSLP 19th Century Pamphlets Project, which funded the cataloguing of the Napier pamphlets.
The library possesses 251 volumes listed in Pollard and Redgrave's Short Title Catalogue 1475-1640 and approximately 9,000 pre-1850 volumes in total. These are held on closed access in the Rare Book Room.
The library also has books donated by a number of distinguished scholars such as J.R.R. Tolkien, Dame Helen Gardner and N.R. Ker.