Cataloguing and Metadata is a key service of the Bodleian Libraries in support of the study, research, and teaching needs of the academic community. Cataloguing and Metadata Services draw on a team of technical, digital library, and subject experts in the description, organization, and delivery of library and other materials in all languages and formats.
Cataloguing and Metadata Services ensure the creation, acquisition, and maintenance of bibliographic information (or more generally, metadata) for the Bodleian Librariesí collections.
This information supports the efficient management, adequate description, and discoverability and usability of the collections by its diverse reader groups including academics, students, library staff, external readers and the wider public for current and future research, teaching and learning.
Metadata comprises descriptive information (resource description and discovery metadata), administrative information (technical, preservation and access metadata), and structural information (organization of collections).
The Bodleian Libraries offer a range of cataloguing and metadata services for librarians, researchers, and projects engaged in the creation of information resources and digital collections. Resources described include physical materials and electronic resources, digitized and born-digital materials, and the research output of the university.
- Requirements analysis, workflow coordination, quality assurance, and long-term availability
- Support for funding applications (cost estimates, technical appendices) and project planning
- Metadata and vocabulary advocacy and consultancy
- Interoperability and digital preservation advice
- Identification, recommendation, development, and implementation of appropriate schemas, vocabularies, and taxonomies
- Cataloguing services in MARC/RDA and RDF/XML standards
- Authority control, indexing, and subject access
- Text encoding and mark-up services (in-house and outsourced) in TEI/XML
- Expertise in metadata applications
We offer introductory and advanced training in cataloguing and metadata concepts and standards, and advice on cataloguing and metadata applications. We have extensive experience in the creation of bibliographic information and metadata both in-house and as an outsourced service. Training can be offered to project staff as required.
As a major academic and legal deposit library, the Bodleian Libraries are committed to the application of best practice and the use of international standards to manage, describe, and make our collections discoverable und usable. Please see our Metadata Policy for more detailed information.