- Your covering letter should include details of how you meet the selection criteria.
- You will also be required to respond to the following questions in the template provided online:
· Why do you wish to pursue a career in librarianship? (Maximum of 50 words).
· A key aspect of the Bodleian Libraries' trainee programme is to provide trainees with enough experience to apply for a professional qualification (usually at MA) in the field of Librarianship / Information Management. From your research, which of the courses currently available best suits your needs and why? How would the Bodleian programme help you to secure a place on that particular course? (Maximum of 100 words).
· Answer one of the following:
What is the purpose of a library catalogue? or
What factors should a librarian in an academic library consider when deciding whether to buy a book in either printed or electronic format? or
In a time of financial constraint, how would you choose which serial publications to cancel in an academic library? (Maximum of 100 words).
Your CV and covering letter should also demonstrate how your knowledge, skills and experience meet the criteria outlined in the job details found at:
https://www.recruit.ox.ac.uk/pls/hrisliverecruit/erq_jobspec_version_4.jobspec?p_id=105986. You should highlight any additional skills which may be relevant to particular libraries (e.g. language skills). You should also show your commitment to librarianship as a career, including your plans for library school if any.
- The closing date for applications is 12noon on Monday 4th February 2013. Late applications will not be accepted.
- If you are short-listed for interview, you will receive notification before 29th February 2013. If you have not been contacted by then, you should assume that your application has not been successful.
- Interviews will be held w/c 11th March 2013. You will receive a letter giving you details of your allocated date and time. You will be given an individual tour of up to 3 typical Bodleian Libraries.
- If you are invited to an interview, you will be asked to let us know if you have any special requirements to help you attend (e.g. wheelchair access). The pre-interview tours will require candidates to travel between library sites, which are spread around Oxford. Some will involve up to a 10 minute walk. You should therefore contact us if you require help getting from library to library.
- For travel expenses, 2nd class rail fares within the UK are normally reimbursed. Please note that you will be expected to provide receipts. Overnight accommodation is not reimbursed.
- Proof of right to work in the UK is required from all applicants. Candidates will be asked to bring their proof of right to work to interview. Please note that the home office does not grant work permits for these trainee roles and therefore if you do not have a right to work in the UK we cannot accept your application.
- The Bodleian Libraries conducts pre-employment screening for all appointments and this includes verification of address and qualifications. All appointments are offered subject to the return of a completed medical questionnaire that is acceptable to the University.